[Amps] [ham_amplifiers] Sweep Tube Amp

David C. Hallam dhallam at rapidsys.com
Thu Nov 26 08:50:53 PST 2009

Toll Free wrote:

> David,
>
> Are you getting a 'blue glow' from the tubes on key down RF output?
> Voltages all OK?
>
> The 6LQ6 6JE6C AND 6MJ6 are interchangeable. The 6MJ6 actually HAS an RF
> rated tube version. It is easily found out by having two plate
> connections, and the anode structure is BLACK, and the anode cap is as
> well. Problem with them is this: Mucho Cout and Cin compared to the
> other tubes. Easily tuned out by adding slight amounts of L to the anode
> lead of each tube.
>
> Oh yeah.. What are you DRIVING it with? Those amps had a LOT to be
> desired in the tuned input department... As a 'test', I rebuilt a 1x2
> amp, 12JB6 into pair of 8950s. Stock, carrier level was about 25 watts,
> MAX! Pulled the drive tube, built a tuned input for it, it now makes 400
> PEP 9driven to saturation), with the same radio as driver before. You
> MIGHT be getting swr foldback... Another example is my SB220 on 11
> meters... The TS440SAT will foldback HARD on mod peaks, netting me about
> 400 watts PEP, MAX. I turn on the tuna in the radio, 1200 pep. So, if
> you are using a solid state exciter, I'd look at input match FIRST!
> Most, if not all, of the multi sweep tube amps had little to NO input
> network, designed around and to be used with tubed exciters that can
> provide the necessary Q needed to keep the newer exciters happy.

I am driving it with a SBE-33 which is the companion transceiver that
this amp was designed for.  It solid state except for the driver and
finals, a pair PL-500's.  It will put out close to specified output into
a 50 ohm dummy load.  The input of the amp is untuned, a bank of
resistors, and operates AB1.  Over the weekend I will do more investigating.

The amp has output and plate current meters.  When I was getting 1.2 mA
on the plate current, the output meter was reading very low.  This is
what I would expect when the inline watt meter was reading only 150W.  I
am using my Collins 312B-4 speaker/watt meter to measure output.
Unfortunately a 250W slug is the largest one I have for my Bird 43.  I
am going to put the Bird between the transceiver and amp to check input.

BTW this is not a CB amp.  It was designed for ham bands.  I was trying
to tune it at 14.25 MHz.