[Amps] 2x 4cx1500b amp

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Nov 30 09:21:17 PST 2009

Why do you want the old style center tap transformer? This doubles the
winding resistance when used in a full wave circuit.

I have had a custom transformer built with the idea it will never be
obsolete and also allow use with several amps with different requirements.

Built for a 240V primary with multiple taps. The secondary is a single
winding with 4 taps that allows me to select a no load DC (at a nominal
240VAC on the 240V tap) of 2500, 3000, 3500, and 4000V in a full wave bridge
or twice that in a doubler. Adding taps is cheap, the added insulation for
doubler service added a bit more cost. I paid extra for the highest
temperature wire insulation but the as built ratings are for the
conventional insulation ratings. Its rated at 5kva so it is not light.

This PS has been in use for about 20 years and used for a pair of 4CX250B's
to a pair of 4-1000A and everything in between.

I sold about 65 of these transformers while a local transformer company was
still in business.

Carl
KM1H