[Amps] SB-220: 1,800 Watts Output

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 13:23:44 PST 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:54:20 -0800, Jim Barber <audioguy at charter.net> wrote:

>Then that begs the question - Marketing claims aside, what would be an
>appropriate max output power to run with a SB1000/AL80 ?
>
>It's a timely question for me, at least. I have a nice SB1000 that's
>been in the storage room for 5 years or so and was thinking about
>getting it out and putting a tube in it. It has 160m, which my 3KA and
>PA77's have not. It also doesn't cause gale force winds in the shack... ;-)

REPLY:

I have an SB-1000 which I ran on HF for several years and then converted to six
meters. It will give 1 kW out on CW or SSB but should be limited to about 600
watts on  RTTY or FM. The limiting factor for RTTY or FM is the power
transformer. You could run it for brief bursts (chasing DX) but for extended
periods such as RTTY contesting at 1 kW the transformer will overheat.

73, Bill W6WRT