[Amps] How high can I go with this amp?

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Sat Oct 10 07:54:28 PDT 2009

Steve...

A different inductance will only change the Q of the tank, not the
match, assuming you tune and load the amp properly. Making the inductor
smaller will require more tune capacitance to resonant the tank, create
more circulating current and require more load C to properly tap off the
proper amount of voltage and current of for the output.

This increase in Q will actually increase tank losses a bit and reduce
amp output by a few tenths of a percent.

The tube has a "preferred" RL for maximum power output. You
automatically adjust the Pi Net to provide that optimum RL by adjusting
the amp for max output. If you give the tube a lower RL than it prefers,
it tries to put out more current, can't do it and output voltage
suffers...which reduces power output.

The easiest way to get more output for class C would be to bias the tube
deep into cutoff and drive it harder, this will make the tube more like
a switch and increase efficiency.

jeff, wa1hco