[Amps] Eimac tube on the 'bay

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 12 16:26:50 PDT 2009

No, the amp deck we are modifying is the driver amp or IPA from the
10kW Technical Materiel Corporation, 10kW transmitters. The same
units can be seen in photos of the WWV site. We have,what used to be
a US Navy communications base here in Western Australia,located at
North West Cape. These units were used there and became surplus and a
heap of local hams were able to get hold of them. This was about 20
years ago and there a still quite a few floating around.

The amplifier module uses a 6CL6 followed by a 6146W followed by the
8295A. From memory, with that lineup, we used to run 100mW into the
front end and get our 1500W out at the tail end. It was of course a
real chore to change bands with that setup so we did away with the
first 2 stages and stuck 50 Ohm at the grid of the 8295A and so we
were able to feed in 100W and only have to do the output tuning when
we changed bands. The grid was biassed at -120V so with 100W drive
into the 50 Ohms, we never went into grid current.

We, (my local club) decided to strip one of these units down (donated
by VK6JX) and just use the RF deck in a new enclosure and plonk a
GS35B into it. It is a works in progress and we hope to have it on
the operating desk by Christmas this year.

That is why we have the tube, socket and chimney surplus. They are
now sold and will be heading to a new home in Florida this week.

On the subject of the bigger tube, we are also stocked up with all
the parts necessary to build a YC156 amp. This will be for 80, 40 and
20m only. This project will commence immediately after the GS35B is built.

Cheers from soon to be sunny, Perth
Alek. VK6APK