[Amps] Checking Plate Choke resonance

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 21:45:21 PDT 2009

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:45:05 -0600, Larry Benko <xxw0qe at comcast.net> wrote:

> If someone can show me a fault in my circuit that
>materially affects the results I will re-simulate it.

REPLY:

How does LT Spice account for the "Tesla Coil" effect in a parallel LC network
which is very lightly loaded?

I am not an expert with LT Spice, but from your description of what you did, LT
Spice applies a known, controlled voltage to the components and calculates the
result. Tha'ts fine as far as it goes, but when a lightly loaded LC circuit has
energy induced into it, the voltages and currents rise far beyond what one
thinks should be present due to the "flywheel effect", and LT Spice apparently
does not take that into account.

As others have pointed out, one real test is worth a thousand computer
simulations.

73, Bill W6WRT