[Amps] Pair of SB-220s

Paul Decker kg7hf at comcast.net
Sun Sep 6 08:20:26 PDT 2009

There is no reason that I know of it wouldn't and couldn't work.  Like others have said, many VHF and some HF solid state amps use this method.   You could have multiple splitters/combiners for various bands and switch them in/out when changing bands (manual or automatic).  As far as using coax for the splitters/combiners, that's a lot of coax on 80 meters!

The other thing though is the power is divided between the two, so if you are using a 100 watt exciter, only 50 watts is getting to each amp, I think you might need more drive to see any noticeable power increase.   On the other hand, at 500 - 600 watts out each, that method would increase the key-down time for full duty cycle modes.

Paul  (KG7HF)

Message: 4