[Amps] New HF amplifier

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Thu Aug 5 07:59:50 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis OConnor" <ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com>
To: <Amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:05 AM
Subject: [Amps] New HF amplifier

> Palstar bought the rights to produce the Commander line of amplifiers
> after the owner's health declined...
> They expected to be able to simply truck the inventory to their shop and
> resume production, with perhaps a few mods... They discovered that the
> amps had problems that they were not willing to have associated with the
> Palstar name...  They spent a full year and considerable tens of thousands
> of dollars in re-engineering, testing, and re-engineering, the entire
> amplifier line, and especially the HF2500DX... (the only original part
> remaining on the Palstar version of the HF2500DX, is the name)
>
> I did have a small part in the final design of the tank circuit when they
> encountered a problem that had them stopped...  I made a suggestion...
> They tried it... They liked it...  It is an excellent amp...
>

> denny / k8do

Ah, that explains it.

Why did you eliminate the dual section Tune cap? IMO the dual section was a
class act used by Alpha, National and others that made 10-20M tuning a snap.

At least Palstar cut out an access panel to the PS board and other
components....a huge PLUS for you guys.

If as the web page says the Magnum is a 2500 with just a FW PS why $700
more?

The Command is a royal PITA to work on in the RF section, the Palstar looks
better. The handful of Commands that Ive worked on didnt have any RF
problems, they seemed to be 100% stable, no power/tuning drift on any band
with a keydown 60 second test. I wouldnt know about RTTY contesting at full
bore, thats almost as bad as running it as an AM linear with a steady
carrier exciter.

The one size fits all meters seem to cheapen the product and give it the MFJ
look in addition. Just a personal opinion. Cant get attached to the vertical
logo either and that bandswitch needs a bigger knob with serious size set
screws.

Are those Jackson Brothers dial scales? Can I buy a set?

Carl
KM1H