[Amps] Comparison of PCB-mount RF relays

Robrk robrk at nidhog.net
Sat Aug 7 11:39:34 PDT 2010

I have a Motorola manual, from the 70's, what is an 8877, 2 to 18 mhz HF amp, using relays for the Pi switching. Part list says "special modified relay". The fuzzy photo looks like just 10 amp contact, open frame P&Bs. Think the mod is just a strap across the DPDT wiper. Getting ready to think about planning to try it with a pair of 813's or 572's.

Someone with a bigger brain do the volts and amps math.

Bob, K2RK

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 7, 2010, at 7:35, Lee Buller <k0wa at swbell.net> wrote:

> Jim, thanks for your excellent work and commentary.
>
> Now, the question I have....
>
> Do you think these relays could be used in switching a PI-Net circuit in an
> amplifier instead of the standard rotary switch?
>
> Finding a suitable band switch for a legal limit amp is rather daunting and
> expensive.  RF current in the PI_Net could be extremely high if I remember
> correctly...on the order of 25 amps or so...but I could be wrong.  The relays
> could be used to switch coil segments in or out and adding capacitance to the
> tune and load controls.  What strikes me as interesting is that you could set up
> a BCD diode matrix to control band switching with relays.  That could be coupled
> to a transceiver for automatic band changing.
>
> Comments?
>
> Lee Buller - K0WA
> "A liberal arts major and a wannabe engineer"

believed to be clean.