[Amps] Automotive Relays

Larry Benko xxw0qe at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 09:28:28 PDT 2010

David,

It doesn't!  Look at the relay specs closely and you will see that very
few relays have any gold in the contacts if they are rated above a few
amps.  I spec'd the use of 10's of millions of relays and never really
liked any of them.  There were always compromises but when using a
million relays per year the manufacturers were very good at helping you
use the proper relay or would make you the proper relay.

There are 2 basic types of relay contacts:

1.) Dry type which can handle currents down to the uA level.  These
contacts are either in a vacuum (usually Rhodium) such as reed relays or
use a contact material having a gold alloy since gold doesn't oxidize
(much).  Unfortunately the upper limit on these relays contacts is
usually less than 3A.

2.) Power type relays where the maximum current is several amps but the
relays have minimum current specs of 10mA, 100mA, or 1A usually
depending on the contact material.  The contact material is almost
always some silver alloy and the relay contacts operate using
"micro-disconnection" which means there is some tiny amount of material
transfer between contacts. Sometimes power relays have gold flashing but
that is generally for contact stability prior to service and the gold is
expendable once the relay is used much.

The above is a simplification and and all relay manufacturers would like
a contact material that would handle all levels of current.

Some relays attempt to reduce the minimum current spec:

1.) Increasing the coil power.  Contacting the contacts with more energy
helps remove any insulating oxide but reduces the relay life due to heat
and mechanical stress.  Operating the coil with high power briefly fixes
any initial problems but does not address a contact that is operated for
a month at a time unless the contact is entirely gas tight (when relay
is new).  Of course everyone wants sensitive coil relays which is the
opposite of this solution.
2.) Bifurcating the contacts.  The contact is divided into 2 smaller
contacts and this is a probability improvement since both contacts are
unlikely to be problematic at the same time.  The down side is that the
2 smaller contacts do not handle a much current as the one big contact.
The telephone industry used billions of bifurcated contact relays over
the years.
3.) Designing a relay where the contacts come together and produce a
minuscule amount of sliding which cleans the contact.  All relays do
this a tiny amount but by increasing this wiping the minimum current
handling goes to nearly zero but for a relay that operates today and
doesn't release for a month this is of less help.  Again this wiping
cuts into the contact life somewhat.
4.) Finally designing the circuit to produce an inrush current through
the contacts when they are first operated or even better at some
periodic interval.  This would not be easy to do at the input to a receiver.

There is an interesting relay FAQ from Omron at
http://www.ia.omron.com/support/faq/4/17.html

Panasonic (Matsushita ) previously known as Aromat and later NAIS has a
huge amount of info at
http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/tech_info/tech_info.html
The document on the power relays explains the advantages/disadvantages
of several contact materials.

This is probably much more than you wanted to know.

73,
Larry, W0QE