[Amps] 50 watt stud mount zener diodes

Mike Tubby mike at tubby.org
Wed Aug 11 09:12:39 PDT 2010

  On 11/08/2010 15:45, Carl wrote:
> [...]

Carl, et al -

50W Zener diodes are now "hard to get" items in the UK - they are
expensive, never quite the right voltage, noisy, and drift with temprature.

Have you considered making a "programmable Zener" using a TL431 and a
TIP147 as per Ian G3SEK's "Triode Board" design (circuit attached).

The full Triode Board info can be found here:

         http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards/triode/triode-manual.pdf

the grid bias circuit is on page 11 (and attached) and can be built on
its own.  I have substituted one in to a 50MHz 3-500Z amp (the QST 1970
design) and it works great.

This circuit is protected (assuming you have glitch resistors) by the VDRs.

Mike G8TIC