[Amps] Initial test of 813 amplifier

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Sun Aug 15 08:23:03 PDT 2010

My t/r circuit applies bias beyond cutoff when the ptt is open. When it's closed, the bias
drops to a point which allows 50 ma of zero-signal plate current (about -50V). When drive
is applied, rectified grid current through a resistor supplies the rest of the class-C
bias (a total of about -175V). So the tubes are normally cut off, except for a period of a
few ms before and after keyed elements in QSK mode. Of course I don't want it to oscillate
then, either!

The idea is that the amplifier will be operating in a linear mode as drive rises, reaching
full class-C along with the rise time of the keyed pulse. I HOPE that this will keep the
amplifier from sharpening up the keying and producing clicks. If it doesn't work, I'll add
some delay to the screen circuit.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm nuts, the intention is to use it on CW only. I probably
should put a sign on it: "anybody using this amplifier on SSB will be shot!"

And yes, it would have been easier to use an extra 813 or two and make it a linear. But I
want to test my theory.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA