[Amps] Glass tube plate color

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sun Aug 15 10:10:42 PDT 2010

  These tubes were never intended to be used as amplifier but in stripline oscillators, either single tube or push-pull.
There were no real efforts to match them. In oscillators you want low mu so that they will draw lots of plate current to
get started quickly. I seem to recall the plate dissipation was 200 Watts with a very bright glow.  These tubes were driven hard is early
radar and radar jammers.  Often pulsed. Hams used to use them because they were very cheap on the surplus market.
  EIMAC even made a version with a glass tube attached to it (about 1/2" ID) and no vacuum inside to be used as a ion vacuum guage tube.

73
Bill