[Amps] Glass tube plate color answers

Patrick Barthelow apolloeme at live.com
Sun Aug 15 12:24:47 PDT 2010

I like Charlie's answer....
Reminds me of a test I did with some old 4-400As.  I plugged them in to a Drake L-4B to see what the power out would be, compared to the prescribed 3-500Zs.   Somewhat less, about 800 watts out when maxxed out with a 100 watt exciter. Compared to about 1200 watts out (momentary, short term, test only) with the 3-500Zs maxxed out.

SORRY, A BIT OFF TOPIC:
 But on the story and suggestion by a friend who is a Formula 1 race car engineer, from the early F-1 Turbocharger era, I tried a test.

 The turbocharger engineer said that while testing F-1 Turbo Engines on a test stand/Dynomometer things were a bit scary.  (Standing behind a conc wall while a 1.5 liter  (BMW 4 banger)  75 PSI ,  turbo engine was developing over 1000 horsepower!  Turbine RPMs were >>100,000.   He said as the turbo exhaust housing (iron) got more and more orange, with heat, they were astonished to see that it became transparent, or translucent at some very high temperature, and they could literally see, (while peaking around some shrapnel containment walls) the outline of the turbine wheel  THROUGH the exhaust scroll housing!   An ilustration of some known physics phenomenon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDTTcvftInw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=014-Jxskqm4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RpGKP_FsTc&feature=related

The engineer said the stored energy in the turbine wheel and shaft at 150K rpm is in the range of hand grenade, and sometimes they exploded with dramatic results.

    Well, because the 4-400s were almost expendable, (many, junk box, pulls from broadcast)  I got the dummy load out, and pushed these at max output for minutes, and the tantalum plate went translucent, and I could clearly see the spiral filiment inside the plate, throough the plate wall.  I dont normally abuse an amp like that, at high power.   I was, like the Race engineers, holding my breath, hoping that no big bangs would occur.  They did not, and the 4-400 A continued to produce its nominal output even after this abuse...

Best Regards,
73, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG  apolloeme at live.com
http://www.cq-vhf.com/vhf_highlights/2010_vhf/2010_summer_vhf/2010_summer_vhf_echoes_barthelow.pdf

      MOONBOUNCE                                 YURI'S NIGHT