[Amps] Not free QWERTY

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Aug 17 21:08:54 PDT 2010

On 8/17/2010 11:12 PM, Charles Harpole wrote:
> The Dvorak typing keyboard is vastly superior to the QWERTY one we have been fosted upon.
> If u want to make some easy money, tell a corporation that you can increase the speed of their data input operators by 20% for your fee.  Then convert all keyboards and typist skills to Dvorak.  Apple used to offer a switch on their keyboards to Dvorak.  Too bad the enjineers did not know enuf to start all computers on Dvorak.... save lots of keying time.
> Can anyone tell why the QWERTY plan is in use?
Yah, but my daughter could type so fast she could jam an IBM
selectric(TM). I  purchased her a new portable when she started college
and she had worn it out by the time she graduated.  Me? I could only
type about 70 wpm at best and I could do that while leaning over the
shoulder of a student when I was a GA...at age 50. Out of 95 students I
only had maybe 10 that could actually type and most were business
majors.  I wonder what I could have done had they not gone to QWERTY?

NOW I feel old when I see they have to explain the early typewriters
used an ink soaked ribbon that a key struck to transfer the image to the
paper. (maybe they should explain "White out"<:-))  No, I'm not going to
give away the secret, but from the above I'm sure you know I know what
the reasoning behind the choice was.

I saw a note in the paper that new students rarely use wrist watches.
What do they use?  The watch is far more convenient than a
PDA/I-pod/i-phone/cell phone. I can just see me on an instrument
approach, when ATC comes on as I pass the outer marker on the ILS with a
long clearance "which I have to read back" while trying keep both the
glide slope and localizer needles centered at 120 mph, to check the time
(I have to time the approach from the outer marker in just in case I
lose the glide slope) on something less convenient than a wrist watch or
the panel clock (which is analog)

As an FYI the Outer marker is usually about 5 miles from the middle
marker which is over the landing end of the runway and should be where
you reach what is called Decision Height (DH) where you have to see the
runway or climb back up on what is called a missed approach.  The Outer
marker is where the pilot is by far the busiest on top of having ATC
giving what is usually one of the longer clearances. You have to "read
back"/repeat the entire clearance back to ATC so they know you received
and understood it. That means while all of this was going on you were
writing down the clearance,

Ah, how times change.

73

Roger (K8RI)