[Amps] triode or tetrode

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Aug 27 06:19:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 02:05:27AM -0400, Roger wrote:

> I keep telling the locals the 4CX3000 is for packet and making sure I
> can get into the local repeater. <:-)) Occasionally some one comes along
> that really believes that.

I didn't know you were in my area! The local club found that the 2m
repeater RX front end was detuned, the LMR-400 from the RX to the
antenna was ... _seriously_ _degraded_[1] by weather and had to be
replaced, and a 5W talkie at a few miles couldn't open the RX up.

I want an amplifier. I actually want multiple amplifiers: HF, VHF, and
UHF. I'd rather build, but may wind up buying. In any event, I'll have
to wait for cash to free up, but will happily follow the posts to this
list: I wind up learning a lot, and hereby express my appreciation to
all you Elmers who give freely of your knowledge and experience.

[1]  I think this translates to "falling ice had all but broken it,
     and the center conductor was the only thing intact on that run
     of cable".

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx