[Amps] Building - or ?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Aug 27 23:59:20 PDT 2010

On 8/27/2010 6:48 PM, richard courtway wrote:
> Gotta say that this subject is dear to my heart.  acquired a basket
> case Henry 2k-4 -
Basket case?

There isn't all that much there.
Is the PS good?  It's good for an honest 1200 watts out from a pair of
3-500Zs.
In the RF deck there is the bias module, the RF sensing module which
could be replaced with something more simple, the multi meter switch,
the Rube Goldberg band switch, and of course the tubes, sockets and
chimneys.

Break it down into sections.  PS, band switch, pi net, plate
choke/bypass, multi meter and switch (that's a fun one to change but
there are many substitute switches that will work), meters, bias module
(Henry did still have them last I checked).

The 2K4 is a nice 1200 watt output *basic* amp with no complicated
circuitry.   It's easy to repair and it makes a great base from which to
build on.  Put a pair of 3CX1200's in there, or a single 3CX3000A7. Sure
it'd take a larger transformer, but one that will take those tubes to
their full potential will fit. How about a pair of 8877s?   Yes, you
have to change the plate and filament transformers, and quite likely
change the pi-net tank coil, *unless* the voltage to current ratio stays
the same as the stock 2K4.  Actually it can vary quite a bit and still
not have to change the components, particularly with the 3CX3000.

Because of the layout, you could actually mount a YC156 in there, but
used to it's fullest potential would require new tank circuit
components. OTOH with 4KV on it a 100 watts drive should give maybe 3KW out.

Lots of possibilities if you want to experiment.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)