[Amps] triode or tetrode

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Aug 30 05:53:10 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger" <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] triode or tetrode

> On 8/27/2010 4:02 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Jim Hoge<knowkode at verizon.net>
>> Subject: [Amps] triode or tetrode
>>
>> I am kicking around the idea of a new amp ( I want 160m capability which
>> my
>> current amp doesn't have) and have a few questions for the gurus and
>> those that
>> have theses beasts. Am I better off with a triode or tetrode based amp?
>> Does it
>> really matter? How about a one or a two holer amp? How much headroom
>> should I
>> look for in a legal limit amp? Some designs are nearly at the limit of
>> the
>> tube(s). How about auto tune capability? Do the amps that have this
>> feature find
>> the best match or will an override/manual tune do a better job? Any other
>> tidbits of wisdom?
>>

>> Tnx,
>> Jim W5QM
>>
>>        Alpha 9500 Auto-Tune
>>        HF Amateur Service
>>        1.5 kW RF Amplifier $7,950 +
>>        shipping and handling
>>        Alpha 8410 Manual
>>        HF Amateur Service
>>        1.5 kW RF Amplifier $4,995 +
>>        shipping and handling
>>

>> ##  how much money do you want to spend ????
>>
>> ##  A GG triode is the way to go.  Forget the 2 x holer.   If you need
>> more HP, you don't put
>> 2 engines under the hood of your truck.
> But that is because you don't have room.  The speed record setters use
> multiple engines, up to one for each wheel.
> The new hybrids and electric cars use either two or four.
>>   200 w of drive into a  YC-156 will peg a 10 kw slug,
> I only have a 100 watts available, but that's still enough drive for
> enough output to require rebuilding most of my antenna system.
>> and you can get a YC-156  for  $200.00  to $300.00
> Or at $385 for one tested and with a guarantee.
>>    200w  into a 3CX-3000A7 will peg a
>> 5 kw slug.  No socket, and no parasitic suppressor required for the
>> YC-156.
> I don't think the 4CX3000A7 requires one either.
>> Used vac caps
>> are cheap. A  4800 vac  10 kva  hypersil pole pig  [120 lb, 1 cubic foot]
> I'd be glad to settle for something in the 6 to 8 KVA range at  a
> reasonable price.
>>    will run a YC-156
>> nicely.  1/4"-3/8"-1/2" copper tubing is dirt cheap at home depot.
>> Gigavac G-2 vac relays
>> are cheap for hams.  6A10 diodes are cheap. HV 450 v lytics are
>> cheap..esp the 2000-4000 uf
>> variety.
> Although it has a 6 minute warm up and the 4CX3000A7 is instant on
> (almost).  I'm looking at the 4CX3000 which is tested at the factory for
> IM and a minimum of 5300 watts out. An 8 KVA transformer should do well
> although to get the full power at CCS would take  a 9KVA.

> [...]

It should be possible to package a YC-156 amp in an Alpha 77 size box with
just the HV transformer remoted. Im not talking about one of those built for
show amps in the mags or on web pages but something that doesnt require an
industrial size model shop and is easily servicable. I stresss easily
servicable.

Carl
KM1H