[Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Mon Aug 30 10:33:33 PDT 2010

This is an interesting thread in terms of manufacturing and marketing
"philosophy" (if you will). When you're looking at a tube that has been
around for a while, you're basically looking at a post-maturity product.
That doesn't mean that the demand for the product is lessening, just that it
has stopped increasing and the product has stopped evolving to more
efficiently meet increasing demand. You reach a "good enough" balance point
where you're going to be meeting current and future demand and are making
your margin. Why try to change anything when all your R&D resources are 100%
absorbed working on future products?

Another case in point is the family of Cushcraft VHF yagi antennas, which
have been marketed essentially untouched for decades. The designs go way
back before computer modeling, and they basically suck (most notably the
12-foot 5-element 6m yagi). Many people, including myself, have redesigned
them using computer modeling and vastly improved their performance.
Cushcraft could obviously do the same thing. But do they? No. They're in the
post-maturity phase of these products, and it is simply not worthwhile for
them to put one more DIME into them for R&D.

I think there may be some axioms at work here.

Axiom #1:
You can make more money selling something new than selling something old.

Axiom #2:
If you make something old better with new technology, to the marketplace
it's not something new, it's still something old. See Axiom #1.

Axiom #3:
If you ARE making money selling something old that really isn't very good,
but it is absorbing zero dollars in engineering overhead, just keep selling
it, and don't put another DIME into it to make it better. See Axiom #2.

Bill W5WVO