[Amps] Matching 3CX800A7's for Alpha 87

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 19:34:47 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:03:30 -0600, Dennis Mowers <k5ya at gvtc.com> wrote:

>What are they matching?  Grid current vs. output  would be my guess.
>
>Anyone had a failure using a new pair of tubes that haven't been matched?

REPLY:

My guess would be pulsed grid voltage vs plate current, but you could be
right.

In any event, I think you could judge the degree of matching by tuning
up at full carrier, letting it run for a few minutes (like on 10 meters
at midnight) and measuring the temperature of the exhaust air from each
tube. I think they should be within a degree or two. Any significant
mismatch should be readily apparent.

73, Bill W6WRT