[Amps] Band switch

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 12:38:47 PST 2010

Well, that is basically true - but not absolute... They also made tapped tank coil ham models (per my shaky memory though I never owned one) and I specifically know that they made high power single band models and even fixed frequency models for industrial and government orders, etc. because I have worked on them and/or ran my hands over them while drooling..  Radio Dan would be a source for info...

In the Ultra and Classic series they do use a roller coil (which in the motorized ones takes forever to go from 160 to 10 :) but they used the aforementioned solenoids with hand made contactors to select the tank capacity and to change the resonant frequency of the plate choke...

One of the reasons my 3K Ultra sits idle these days is that in contesting as a single op I am allowed rapid band changes in some contests - the motorized roller is too slow when the bands are open from 40 through 10 at the same time...

My comment to Hsu was to merely point out that in designing an amp there is an alternative method to the traditional monster band switch...  If he finds the comment useful, great... If not, <shrug>

On the issue of a change of ownership in China, I am good to donate a couple crates of ammo...

denny / k8do