[Amps] Paint it black

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sat Dec 18 17:12:30 PST 2010

> Working this in the reverse, I replaced a transformer in a 32V2, where the
> rectifier as I recall is directly adjacent the (black) power transformer.
> The transformer got very warm during operation. I put a thin Al sheet in
> between the transformer and the tube and the transformer was notably
> cooler  (Tubes being cheaper than transformers to replace).

Only worked because the tube is at a higher temperature than the
transformer. The separating plate stopped the direct radiation from the
tube to the transformer, reflected some of the heat back in the
direction of the tube, absorbed some of it and reradiated it over a
larger area, and maybe lost some small amount of the heat due to
convection. Due to the reflected heat and the portion re-radiated back
to the tube, the tube no doubt ran hotter than before. As you say,
easier to replace the tube when it fails sooner due to running at a
higher temperature, than to replace the transformer. So you accomplished
something worthwhile.

In the case of two tubes dissipating nearly identical amounts of power,
and running at nearly identical temperatures, there would be very little
advantage to having the plate between them, as far as stopping radiant
heat from one tube to the other. The heat from tube A stopped from
getting to tube B by the plate, would be offset by tube B's own heat
being reflected back to tube B. The net advantage, as far as radiant
heat transfer goes, would be zero, so it would not matter whether it is
black or shiny aluminum.

The control of the air flow might be useful. The color only effects how
the absorption and radiation works.

DE N6KB