[Amps] why did Heath die?

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Mon Feb 1 04:26:08 PST 2010

> I have a table at our hamfest every year and I sell used and new bits
> and pieces that hams can use in their construction projects . Mainly
> amplifier and high voltage stuff.
>
> Out every 100 people that go past, only 5 will look at the stuff and
> 2 will buy something. My prices are dirt cheap as my motive is not to
> make money but rather give the builders in our small ham community
> access to stuff that is hard to find and that they would have to pay
> an arm and leg for elsewhere.

Things are exactly the same here in Texas, Alek!
After 56 years in ham radio, I have no desire to build anymore. I have tons
of amp parts, complete RF decks and power supplies. For several years, I
loaded up trailers full of goodies, and attended ham fests and flea markets
all over Texas. I never sold enough stuff to meet expenses. Finally, I sold
my trailer and gave up. I have enough gear and parts for people to build
legal-limit + amps at less than 10 cents on the dollar. My observation is
that they will not buy anything that cannot be carried away under one arm,
regardless of the value and price.

Do not feel that you are alone down-under; builders are truly a vanishing
breed. When we old Codgers are finally SK, the hobby will have completely
morphed into a plug-and-play situation. It is very sad that not enough books
and archives will exist 20 years from now to even mark our existence! CW
operators will not need to own keys, paddles, or bugs, or know Morse code.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC (enjoying life to the fullest!)