[Amps] I dont accept answers to why did Heath die?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Feb 1 12:35:47 PST 2010

Gary Smith wrote:
> Because it is offered as a kit, is the reason I
> bought and put together my K3 which has every bell &
> whistle except the inboard 2 meter board.
>
> Gary
> KA1J
>
> BTW, Not thinking I "need" a 3KW ATU
3? Mine's 5 and it'd be a very easy project. It's large and it's heavy.
It's far larger than both of my MFJ989Cs combined and weighs much more @
30 some pounds.  There's not a lot there really.  Two very large air
variable capacitors a roller inductor with a turns counter, a very heavy
duty 4:1 balun, a watt meter/SWR bridge. The two air variables have very
smooth vernier drives.   I could easily dispense with the balanced line
output as it is highly unlikely I'll ever have a need for it.  Actually
I'm tempted to remove it.

Now the two air variables could be replaced with surplus vacuum
variables and turns counters for an even more rugged tuner. Throw out
the balun and meters as I could use the station watt/swr meter and we
have a very rugged and inexpensive tuner.  The cabinet is a flat panel
front and back. The chassis is a full width, shallow clamshell. The top
and bottom are also clamshells that fasten to side rails that run from
the front to rear panel.

Simple and rugged construction.

73

Roger (K8RI)