[Amps] Fleamarkets and more

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:05:41 PST 2010

If there is a lack of homebrewing of big RF it is due to death by 1000
cuts.   Many minor factors have combined to end the practice.   Notice
that QST doesn't seem to run anything on homebrewing with high voltage
now.   I'm just starting to take a stab at this myself.  My findings:

You firstly need a place to work.  There has to be a lot of room.
Lots of light.  Plenty of room to spread out tools, parts, the item
being built and lots of AC service circuits and outlets and at least
one stout bench or table.   You can't build a big amp or transmitter
on a card table in a corner.

You need test equipment, tools, variacs, various soldering irons,
guns, and so on plus supplies.

You need to know about tools, what to get, how to use them.   Good
tools and good supplies aren't cheap.

This and more is in addition to knowing electronics.  Being familiar
with DC, solid state, digital logic doesn't get you far with AC, RF
and tubes (but it is better than just knowing about macrame).

It is easy to feel overwhelmed but on top ot that the modern day OM
with a XYL who also works may find it hard to find the room, time and
money to set up shop.  So the vacuum variables, plate transformers and
4-1000 go begging at flea markets while CDs with PSK31 software move.

I am very fortunate--I have a good friend who is a professional
mechanic who has forgotten more about tools than I will ever learn and
he is a ham who builds things and he is teaching me what to buy and
how to use it.   There is also a large machine shop where I work
staffed by master machinists who don't mind my questions about metal
work.

When you start to realize how good gear can be if you make it yourself
you start spending 95% of your time at hamfest flea markets and the 5%
you spend on the indoor new manufactured stuff is only to look around
and think, "nothing here for me" and go back outside.

Someone posted some message about not knowing about tools ( or
something like that).  You have to get off your butt and search.  One
word:  Wikipedia  Don't know about punches?  Look up Punch in
Wikipedia.

I am discovering that if all you do is buy stuff and use it you are
not experiencing the richness of ham radio as a hobby.

73

Rob
K5UJ