[Amps] QRO-RG-142

Jim Thomson Jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Feb 7 03:45:43 PST 2010

That RG-142 is great stuff.  As test engineer at Harris I often had ten, 10
kW TX's on burn-in at the same time with the dummy loads near the TX.  20+
kW of heat generated by each was waaaay to much for the A/C and the plant
got really hot.  I had to move the dummy loads 300 feet away into an unused
basement area and used ten lengths of RG-142.  It lasted for years and only
burped once when a type C connector arced and left black soot on the
ceiling, and that was due to improper installation of the connector.   The
coax got hot but never to a point where you couldn't grab on to it
comfortably with your hand.  I retired years ago and to my knowledge the
over half mile of really good coax is still in the ceiling at the plant.
Fun memories.  73,  /Ed  k2mp

##  RG-142 is rated for 10 kw CCS...@ 2.9 mhz...... and only
 3 kw CCS @ 30 mhz.   What freq were u testing at ??

## other RG-58 size coax that will take power is RG-303..
and also RG-400... both PTFE.

##  10  x 10 kw TX's  = 100 kw of heat !

later... Jim  VE7RF