[Amps] QRO questions

Jim Thomson Jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Feb 7 06:46:38 PST 2010

Typically we'd blow out about one of those every day of two.  The
transports that moved through vacuum seals also used Teflon insulation.
There was always a bunch of those stacked up waiting to be rebuilt. When
we'd have an arc over at the base of a transformer there'd be a lot of
black smoke and soot along with a smell similar to Chlorine and most
likely part of the gas was Chlorine. The gas given off is very poisonous
which we didn't find out until a bit later.  After they found out what
it gives off when burnt, any arc usually resulted in all the operators
deciding to take a break at the same time.

The gas isn't good for you, but unless in a closed space or you stick
you nose in the smoke it's unlikely to cause any problems.

##  My understanding is... Teflon is  normally rated to run at 200 deg C
CCS.   It's max rated for 250 deg C.   It decomposes at 335 deg C.

##  when Teflon turns into gas [dunno what temp it liquefies at]
the gas given off is called Phosgene gas.    This is extremely
dangerous !    It was used in WW-1.. along with mustard gas
and also Chlorine gas.   You don't want to be breathing it in
an enclosed, non ventilated area.

##  I didn't realize that Teflon  could generate gas...from
an arc?

later......... Jim   VE7RF