[Amps] Vac Relays for B+

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 09:46:18 PST 2010

I have seen a few older commercial amps with a resistor on the transformer
side of the filter capacitors. I have also seen it in older handbook power
supply projects. I haven't seen that done on anything in a long time.
I have an old TMC amplifier that had dual 25 ohm resistors between the
transformer secondary and the diodes. The regulation was terrible. I shorted
them out and it works much better.

If the supply delivers say 1 amp of DC to the tubes and you have a 25 ohm
resistor on the transformer side of the filter capacitors the voltage drop
is not just 25 volts. The problem is that you have to be concerned with the
PEAK charging current which is many times the DC output current.

The filters charge up to peak AC voltage. As current is drawn from the
supply the current that recharges the capacitors is drawn from the
transformer in very narrow pulses as the diodes only conduct near peak
voltage. That makes conduction time very short. In order to supply the
amount of energy needed with these short pulses the current has to be much
higher. So voltage drop across the series resistor (or transformer
resistance) is much higher than the DC current out of the supply.
I agree with the fellow that says it is a waste of expensive transformer if
you put a resistor on that side of the filter.

The reason for a glitch resistor AFTER the filter capacitors (between
filters and the tube) is to absorb the energy held in the filter capacitors
in the event of a short. Even if the primary is disconnected, when there is
a fault the filter capacitors store enough energy to do damage. The glitch
resistor limits the amount of energy available.
Using too large a filter capacitor presents a problem too as the amount of
glitch energy will be higher.

73
Gary  K4FMX