[Amps] resistor between FWB/FWB and HV caps.

Jim Garland 4cx250b at muohio.edu
Tue Feb 9 13:19:51 PST 2010

Interesting comments, Jim. That's pretty cool software you're using. Thanks.
Pse see my detailed responses below. Basically, I get the same results from
my 30V test that you do, re peak currents and voltages.  In my 30V test, I
used a transformer that was stiff enough that I could ignore the primary and
secondary resistance, as well as all the effects of the AC line and the pole
pig, etc.   I understand that you believe that for my 30V test I should
dropped the load resistance from 2200 ohms to 22 ohms. I respectfully
disagree, and would be most interested in hearing your reasons.  My reason
for keeping the 2200 ohms and merely scaling up the voltages and currents is
that all the circuit components (resistors and capacitors) in the power
supply are linear (setting aside issues of core saturation in transformers).
If you double the current through a resistor, you get double the voltage. If
you double the AC current through a capacitor, you get double the AC
voltage, but the same phase shift and frequency response. Everything scales
exactly with voltage. If the power supply has ten percent voltage regulation
at 3000V, it will also have ten percent regulation at 30V.  So long as all
the circuit components are linear, all the voltages, currents, and waveform
shapes scale exactly. Of course, once non-linear elements are introduced
(transformer core saturation being the biggie) then the scaling breaks down.

Had I reduced my load Ro to 22 ohms as you suggest, the characteristics of
the power supply would have changed enormously. The discharge time for the
load (RoC), which is the rate at which the load drains stored charge from
the capacitor would drop by a factor of a hundred. This would change
everything and render the results of the experiments invalid.  Now a few
detailed comments: