[Amps] Results from new PSUD... resistor b4 the B+ filter caps !

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 10:00:28 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:16:44 -0500, "Paul Christensen" <w9ac at arrl.net>
wrote:

> 2) series R between the rectifier and filter C for
>rectifier preservation during a C short;

REPLY:

Has anyone actually experienced a shorted filter C? Open C is far more
common, in my experience.

In more than 50 years of electronics I have never seen a shorted
aluminum electrolytic cap. I have replaced hundreds if not thousands
of open ones and I have seen shorted tantalums on many occasions, but
that's all. I am sure it must happen but it seems to be exceedingly
rare.

73, Bill W6WRT