[Amps] shorted filter caps

Danny Pease dpease at adams.net
Thu Feb 11 15:04:41 PST 2010

I have experienced several new electrolytics that shorted and besides the
mess, they have a nasty fishy smell!

NG9R

I have seen shorted oil filled capacitors and boy do they make a mess when
they puke their oil.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 2/11/2010 12:00:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dezrat1242 at yahoo.com writes:

ORIGINAL  MESSAGE:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:16:44 -0500, "Paul Christensen"  <w9ac at arrl.net>
wrote:

> 2) series R between the rectifier  and filter C for
>rectifier preservation during a C short;

REPLY:

Has anyone actually experienced a shorted filter C? Open  C is far more
common, in my experience.

In more than 50 years of  electronics I have never seen a shorted
aluminum electrolytic cap. I have  replaced hundreds if not thousands
of open ones and I have seen shorted  tantalums on many occasions, but
that's all. I am sure it must happen but  it seems to be exceedingly
rare.

73, Bill  W6WRT