[Amps] Design of 2-meter strip lines or parallel lines

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Feb 12 09:02:11 PST 2010

Id start with a known functional design and work from there. The theoretical
part is still black magic and I havent found any software except Microwave
Office to be of any use. And even Office can lead you a merry chase that
requires enough cut and try to make it almost not worth the effort. I no
longer have access to this very expensive program.

The only parameters I really depend upon is the published tube C and the
calculated plate load. Those are for the starting point only. The next most
important is the size of the box since it is part of the circuit and its
best to follow someones elses work if its of known quality.

I like the split line circuit for 144 and 222 as it lends itself to easier
modification to get it right and gets the HV off the output side of the
line.

Ive mentioned it here before, my 2M amp is a 3CX1000A7 (1500W Pd per Eimacs
revised specs) TV translator pull, a fairly scarce tube but in my case 25
years ago the price for tube and socket were far below a 8877 pull. It still
puts out the same power as when built.
And contrary to a lot of mythology a small vacuum variable works very well
at 2M. The end result is an easy 1500W out with around 60% efficiency and
absolutely no tuning drift or controls instability, even at  full bore
maximum 1800W  ( 3300V @ 900ma) for a full minute key down. The driver is a
RF Concepts 180W brick rebiased for SSB and driven for 100W out. The amp is
capable of quite a bit more but the pair of 12uF 4KV oil caps with good old
GE Pyranol keeping them happy is the limiting factor. The next tap on the 2A
CCS transformer results in 3900V...too close for comfort!

The 222 version is an 8877 using a handbook design that was tweaked for best
efficiency + IMD which is around 55% given the accuracy of the Bird.

The only test equipment I used besides the basics was an old Measurements
Model 59 GDO using a transverter/receiver as the frequency meter and the
3000W Bird/RCA load with a tapered input and useable to 1296 at reduced
power. I suppose an antenna would make a good load also using a common
birdie frequency. (-;

If using a different tube than published designs try and find one with the
same operating output impedance and then you have just the internal
characteristics and input to play with.
Final testing is done with a spectrum analyzer where its a huge help with
input and output tuning to get the best IMD. The nice thing about these
frequencies is to tune it once and leave it alone.

Carl
KM1H

.