[Amps] 4cx800a

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Feb 15 21:38:05 PST 2010

donroden at hiwaay.net wrote:
>> Makes one wonder what to believe in...
>>
>> Cecil
>> K5DL
>>

> 4CX3000s and 4CX5000s

       4CX3000A filament 9.0VAC @ 41.5A  = 373.5 Watts
       4CX5000A filament 7.5VAC @ 75A     = 562.5 Watts

Yah, but I hate to use more electricity to light the fire in the final
than for all the rest of my station.  OTOH I have to admit those are
tubes that define rugged...Tubes with handles.
7KV on the plate of a 4CX3000 @ 2A input gives 5.3 KW out but it will
run full power to 150 MHz (now there's an amp worthy of packet or making
sure you can get into the local repeater during band openings ) while a
paltry 5 Kv @ 1.4A on the 4CX5000 gives 5.8 KW loafing along up to 110 MHz

Man, now I know why the 4CX3000 and 3CX3000 are so popular.  One on HF,
one on 6-meters, and one on two meters.  I wouldn't have to turn on the
heat in the shack while working out there in the winter.

OTOH it takes less to light the fires in the Triode versions, but more
drive. But, what the hay! Look at all the money you save by not needing
a socket although a 30 to 40# filament transformer is a lot of iron.

73

Roger (K8RI)