[Amps] 3000/5000

Jim Thomson Jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Feb 17 05:39:56 PST 2010

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 04:48:12 -0500
From: Roger <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3000/5000

Jim Thomson wrote:

I figured there must be a simple way. OTOH that switch doesn't look much
like the ones in the old SB200 or 30S-1 <:-))

##  The 'switch' in a SB-200 is not the real deal.

http://www.multi-tech-industries.com/rswitches.html

 ## These are the real deal.  Very reliable and you can still
buy every bit and piece for them.  I had Skip Coleman at
multi-tech  custom make me  sequential 5 x pole rotor's
for all 3 x wafers of my 88 switch.  What ham's call a
'shorting switch',  is actually  a 'multiple pole rotor'

> ###  FYI....  EMTRON  is going to do just that.  Called a  DX-5.. and will
> use a Chinese  4CX-5000

I've seen the stats on it in an e-mail from Rudy.  The DX-4 still uses a
pair of GU84B's.

## latest I heard was that DX-2  was to have one  Chinese 4CX-1500B
DX-3  was to get a a pair of 1500B's
DX-4  was to get a 3 x  1500B's

 OTOH We don't have 3 phase through our subdivision the
DX-5 would require  and getting consumers to run it in...is a bit beyond
my budget.

##  you can't get  3 -phase in 98% of  most sub divisions.

 Shipping would be a bit steep too.

## agreed.  very expensive.

 Still, you can get a 3 phase PS for the DX4 as well.
>     Slated for 8 kw out CCS... it's  supposed to
> have vac caps, and the whole 9 yards. Power supply available in either
> 240 v single phase... or 400 v
I thought it was the DX-4 that gave you a choice with the DX-5 being
3-phase only.

###  His 3 phase  models run on 400 vac  @  50 hz.  They are not
intended for the NA  market. [HV supplies]

## as long as you have 200A  service,  you can run anything. If he can't
supply a 240 vac  single phase HV supply, no big deal.  That's the easy part
to build.  What emtron should do is offer to sell the RF decks only... minus the
HV supply...as an option.  The money you would save on shipping costs on the
emtron hv supply, would pay for a HB one.

Jim   VE7RF

> later........... Jim  VE7RF
>
>73

Roger (K8RI)