[Amps] HV Fuses

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Feb 17 07:27:36 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <K1SG at aol.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Fuses

>I love this list!  It always gives me new ways to think about a  problem.
> Thanks Steve, Larry and Carl for your input.
> Steve, if there's room to fuse at the B- side, that's an easy and elegant
> solution. Given the physical layout, it may require complete disassembly
> of
> the  power supply and moving 150 pounds of power transformer out of the
> way,
> so it's  somewhat less appealing.

> Carl, I don't have any quantitative information on forming and sustaining
> an arc. If the gap is, say, an inch or and inch and a half, is that going
> be  likely to sustain an arc when the wire melts, assuming worst case,
> 5KV.
> The way  it's constructed, there's nothing nearby for the wire to short to
> or arc  to.

A plasma does not act the same as a standard HV arc.
Once the air is ionized it will maintain the arc until it finally burns down
the wire or its drippings will develop a new path to anything even remotely
resembling a conductive path.

I take HV seriously and prefer to not go by the "well it worked for me"
crowd.
Bottom line, its poor engineering.

Carl