[Amps] L-4/L-7 Power Supply

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Feb 18 09:58:27 PST 2010

Hi Ed,

What you refer to as bleeder resistors are really part of a voltage
divider that provides cutoff bias for the 3-500Zs. There are two 50 kohm
x 50 watt resistors in series on the top side of the supply which are in
turn in series with a 5K resistor on the bottom side. Each of the 50k
resistors dissipates around 30 watts when the mode switch on the amp is
in the SSB position.

Hi Ed,

I agree that the arrangement with the mica spacers is non-optimal. the
bracket which is at ground potential has sharp points in close proximity
to the high voltage on the resistor terminals. I was concerned about
alignment when I installed the new resistors, but so far so good (I
don't think the buzzing problem I have is related to voltage breakdown
around these resistors).