[Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4

johndtate at post.com johndtate at post.com
Thu Feb 18 15:30:43 PST 2010

I just acquired a Henry 2K-4 console linear amplifier.  I like to run
AM as well as the other modes.  The Henry is rated for continous duty
and as AM is closer to continous than SSB, I figured it was a good amp
to have.  I'm very satified with the output from the two aging Eimac
3-500Z's but the 120 cycle hum that rides on the carrier is
troublesome.  It's there whether I'm using my Kenwood TS-570 or my
modified Heathkit DX-60 to drive it.  When I use the DX-60 (which I
prefer for AM) making adjusting the tuning control will change the
amplitude of the hum but never reduce it enough.  Seems like when in
resonance the hum peaks too.  I have grounded the amp and the DX-60 via
10 gauge solid copper to an 8 gauge solid copper coming into the shack
that's attached to the 8 foot copper clad steel ground rod right
outside a couple feet away.

For some perspective, I have no audible hum from the Heathkit SB-200
and everything else the same.  The SB-200 is setup for 120 volts
however, not 220/240.

The Henry has full-wave bridge rectifier then uses an 8 henry (700ma)
filter choke with an oil filled .1mf (7500v) in parallel then an oil
filled 20mf (5000v) cap to ground.

I've been told those oil filled caps rarely go bad and usually last
longer than we do.  Any clues where I should be looking to solve this
hum problem?  Of course it's not really noticible on SSB but I'm sure
it's in there as well.

73 and thanks for any tips and patience with this !
John  KX5JT