[Amps] 120 cycle hum from Henry 2K-4

johndtate at post.com johndtate at post.com
Thu Feb 18 20:30:35 PST 2010

Maybe not the amplifier.  Hums can be really tricky.  When I did that
check last night, I hadn't had the ground lug on the back of the Henry
tied to my station ground.  I grounded it very well with 10 gauge solid
copper to the station ground (the 8 foot rod in the ground right
outside)   I just checked everything AGAIN and it looks like the hum is
NOT audible to others now from the TS-570 in AM mode.  I can see a very
small amount on the scope but it's not audible so... I checked again on
the DX-60 and without the amp on... there was the ripple.  I think it
IS 60 cycle.  Someone last night on the air said it was 120 cycle but I
listened to a 60 cycle hum audio file from the internet and guess what?
  Yep.  I think after all the Henry is amplifying the DX-60's hum.
Maybe because the SB-200 has a grounded three prong 117 volt plug...
and the shield from the coax does tie the chassis's together, the hum
was reduced?  The DX-60 has a non-polarized 2-prong plug.  I looked
closer at the DX-60 cw on the scope by itself and the hum is there.

I'm going to install a 3-prong grounded cord/plug on DX-60 and see if
that works.  Hums can be really tricky to figure out!!  I think I'm
finally on the right track and maybe it isn't the amp!!  It's a
learning experience for me!  *crosses fingers*