[Amps] kW dummy load resistors

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 05:10:24 PST 2010

> Hello all....
>
> I was wondering if there is a good source of resistors out there that could be used in building a dummy load that will handle a KW....????
>
> Any suggestions welcome?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> KB8NNU

Another option, using thin film resistors on a large air-cooled
heatsink:

http://www.granta.g4axx.com/Attenuator.php3

This is actually a 30dB attenuator, so 1kW input delivers a 1W sample at
the output socket. This can be very useful for measuring the power with
simple test equipment, or for harmonic measurements. If you're building
a dummy load, it's well worth the extra effort to make it an attenuator
instead.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK