[Amps] Step Start circuit - needed or not?

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Tue Feb 23 08:18:40 PST 2010

The SB-1000 does not require a step-start. The transformer is designed so that the
secondaries have enough impedance to protect the diodes and tube filament at startup. It
also has a relay to protect the switch (at least mine, which is a late model, does).

Having said all that, I added a step-start to mine to eliminate the thump that it
sometimes emits on startup. But I think that's only an aesthetic thing.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA