[Amps] soft start, how to determine if needed?

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:03:31 PST 2010

Yes, there is.
The most endangered part are the rectifiers. The specification includes a
current value called " non repetitive peak current", usually with a time
limit of about a cycle or so. Use that value, assume a dead short at the
capacitors and calculate a value for the resistor, such that the peak
current at the peak of the input waveform voltage is less than this current.
Keep in mind that the transformer action changes the current so that 1
ampere at 2500V translates to 10 amperes at 250V!
At 240 VAC, the resistor comes out around 1 ohm or less so that it can be
wired in series and left there, even without a shorting relay. Use a wire
wound resistor, such as Dale's and install on a heat sink.
Alex	4Z5KS