[Amps] 3-500Z blue glow on glass

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Jul 2 17:29:34 PDT 2010

What you describe is very common with receiving tubes, especially beam
tetrodes/pentodes. The blue glow on the glass has long been accepted to be
due to electrons hitting impurities in the glass and is harmless.

It has nothing to do with Cerenkov radiation or nuclear reactors.

In transmitting tubes a different type of glass is used and impurities cant
be tolerated at the voltages involved. In a 3-500 my first suspicion would
be gas.

Carl
KM1H