[Amps] parasitic suppressor voodoo

DAVE WHITE mausoptik at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 15 12:34:19 PDT 2010

On a 2 times 4-1000A amp (5.5kv, grounded grid, cathode driven) I used two separate parasitic suppressors, each with 3 paralleled 50 ohm carbon resistors inside a 15mm diamater two-turn coil of 2mm copper wire over about 10mm length.  The amp has worked flawlessly (80 thru 10m) for many years.

If yours is a low band amp, you could probably make REALLY certain by increasing the number of turns on the coil.  Initially with four turns the resistors smoked a little on 10m.   I guessed "too much L".  There was no science to building these suppressors - it was a case of looking at the W6SAI "Radio Handbook" and seeing if it worked.  Voodoo?  Maybe.

I didn't try the amp without parasitic chokes but it seemed to work and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....

Hope this helps
Dave G0OIL