[Amps] Size of Parasitic Chokes

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu Jul 15 17:21:11 PDT 2010

How do you determine the size of a parasitic choke for a given tube
other than using "The Handbook" as a starting point and going with "cut
and try" from there?
Say with a YC156, 4CX3000A7, or 4CX5000?
Unfortunately sockets for those 4CX tubes are a tad pricey (Look like
the socket for a 4CX1500B on steroids.) I don't see all that many of the
3000's any more, but I have one and know of possibly a couple good ones
for a reasonable price. I think that socket (and 360 watt filament) keep
the price more reasonable. Course it takes a rather chunky filament
transformer too.  That tube would make some nice 6 meter and 2-meter amps!

73

Roger (K8RI)