[Amps] Possible transformer solution?

Donald Fox taurusshoguy at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 12:53:53 PDT 2010

Gentlemen:

I know there has been much discussion in the past regarding some of our older amplifiers using 3 wire instead of the newer 4 wire AC feed.

In my instance, we are talking about my Henry 3002 console with 3 wire input and the fact that it along with the filament and plate transformers are 240 vac primary.

I have discovered that the ECA 1161 relay control transformer has an open primary. It seems like it would be so much easier to find a 120 volt transformer with the needed 30 vac secondary, and just run it off of one side of the 240 volt line.

Will I be committing any grave engineering faux paus here, or can this be done without great fanfare and conversion to the 4 wire feed?

                                      TIA              Don    N8ECH