[Amps] More parasitic choke questions

Martin Sole hs0zed at csloxinfo.com
Tue Jul 27 18:50:04 PDT 2010

This was somewhat germane to my original question. Really more about how
much preferred a purely carbon resistor would be to one of the more modern
equivalents. Having done a little digging, RADCOM July 2005 and August 2009,
In Practice column, Ian writes that paralleled MF resistors are the
components of choice for parasitic suppressors of HF power amplifiers. The
paralleled bit being more to minimise the associated inductance than
specifically increase power handling. This suggests to me that using MF is
not likely to be akin to using WW, rather any impact on suppressor
performance should be minimal and unnoticed in normal use with  what has
otherwise been a very stable amplifier.

I'm thinking 4 resistors in a boxlike arrangement for use in the Henry where
these will fit inside the original coils. For the Alpha 78 I may reduce the
coil length to account for any increase in coil diameter when wound to fit
over two or three MF resistors.

Steve, I couldn't find your 30 Aug 06 post, found several others around that
time on similar topics but would still be interested to know what you
measured.

Cheers
Martin, HS0ZED