[Amps] More parasitic choke questions

Martin Sole hs0zed at csloxinfo.com
Wed Jul 28 06:02:09 PDT 2010

Thanks Carl,

The suppressors in my 78 are pretty high in value, one measured 88 ohms and
the other 2 around 70 ohms. All three look just fine. This amp was a US
government employee in a past life and came to me in a pretty rough state
and minus the tube skirts and chimneys. Can only assume that if they ran
them like that they must have eaten tubes though the ones that were in it
worked okay. As an aside we found 8 of these Alpha 78's in a pile at a
renderers due to be melted down. They were rescued at what was about US$60
per amp!

Ref the inductance of MOF. G3SEK quotes looking at some 3W MOF resistors at
what looks to me to be 100 ohms and finding 1.5 spiral turns about 4mm
diameter and 10mm in length. He calculates this to be about 3 nanohenries.
Assuming the increase in inductance with resistance is not excessive then a
pair in parallel might be around 2 nanohenries. How is this going to affect
the approximate 50nH coil across them?

I'm not familiar with these sorts of resistors being other than spiral in
manufacture. Can you clarify? Maybe I need to be a bit specific when looking
at them.

If the 3W Matsushita resistors glow then I'm assuming they're dissipating
power. Is it one resistor!? How many ohms is it supposed to be?

Thanks again for the useful feedback, all good stuff.

Martin, HS0ZED