[Amps] big PS

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Fri Jul 30 17:31:57 PDT 2010

This is the final power, the driver is 14 kV at 25 amps. I don't have a key for it, only a PLC command on a screen to energize it. Cannot send morse with it, not fast enough, unless i key a pin diode on the front end.
There are no off the shelf dummy loads, no. The load is 16 foot long coaxial pipe load that was commercial years ago. Instead of sodium nitrite and water, i am using a corrosion inhibitor for loss and deionized water. Return loss is -30 dB over a range of temperatures. It has
closed loop cooling through a heat exchanger, about 60 gallons a minute flow. This transfers heat to the main cooling for the building, which is about 1000 GPM. I am using around 200 for the load, the IPA and the final plate cooler. Its
not a cheap rig. When I get some photos of the finished operation and have them released for public, will post a link for look-see.

At VHF with a cavity, parasitics are no longer VHF but are likely to be L band TE modes. So the suppressor is a different beast, not coil over resistors!

73
john
K5PRO