[Amps] Alpha 77DX

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Jun 1 07:28:07 PDT 2010

Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 18:07:55 -0500
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 77DX

Regarding my Alpha 77DX questions and issues:

 Regarding the oil filled capacitor, I tested the value prior to operational testing of the amplifier; the value is 25 microfarads as rated.  After cleaning the oil skim from the top of the capacitor, it has remained dry. There is a top leak, but it is minor at the moment.  I will keep an eye on this capacitor and will be on the lookout for a suitable replacement.

##  I'd replace it with a string of lytics.   There is plenty of room.   25 uf is marginal at best... and totally inadequate on a 2 x hole sx.     50-100 uf  would be more optimum..and easily doable.

later... Jim   VE7RF

This list is a great resource and I appreciate the help. Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions, information or offers of help.

73 Charlie N8RR