[Amps] SB-220

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at arrl.net
Sun Jun 13 11:26:41 PDT 2010

The spitting noise is probably the tune capacitor arcing. That is
a sign of underloading. Turn the load control more clockwise, and
the spitting should stop. If your load control is already at max,
the swr may be a little high. In that case, try changing the
length of your feedline by adding an extension (try 30 feet) to
present a different impedance to the amp, or tweak the antenna
for lower swr.

The spitting may have put some burrs on the tune capacitor, and
you may have to file it down. You can also take a look at the
spacing of the plates on that cap, and bend them slightly to
exactly center the moving plates within the fixed plates.

Don't hook up the ALC.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ